This RISOTTO demonstrates how rice is a versatile food that enhances the flavor of the ingredients that accompany it. The combination of ingredients suited to make a good risotto are numerous and you will get to know them in this blog.
Wine is something that always accompanies a good risotto and in this case it is the main element. I recommend you use a good white wine with a strong aroma. I used a Verduzzo that belongs to my little vineyard that borders the garden.
Rsotto is a complete dish and accompanied by a salad, it makes an excellent dinner. To ensure a good risotto, during the 20 minutes of cooking time need to make this recipe, you will need to dedicate yourself exclusively to this task. Risotto is stirred with a wooden spoon and turned often so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
To make a good risotto it is necessary that you use a suitable rice. In my experience the ideal preparation for this dish is carnaroli rice. Never use parboiled rice, this type of preparation does not allow the rice to release its starch and you lose the creaminess that distinguishes risotto. Don’t be fooled by rice that cooks in a few minutes. The ingredients need time to blend and if you can’t find 20 minutes during your day, leave it for another occasion and enjoy a good cheese, a delicious food that is already prepared!
RISOTTO WITH WHITE WINE
1 cup carnaroli rice
3 cups of an aromatic white wine
2 tablespoons organic granulated vegetable broth (such as Rapunzel Pure Organic Vegetable Soup Broth) or 1 bouillon cube
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
16 fl. oz of water
salt and pepper
- Weigh the rice and pour it onto a plate (I always use a handful of rice per person). Put the water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- In a large saucepan (the rice will double in size during the cooking process) add the olive oil with the chopped shallots and a pinch of fine salt. Sweat the shallots at a moderate heat (they should be transparent not browned). When the sauce is ready, add the rice turning it quickly to infuse it with the flavor of the onion. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add a half a glass of wine at a time, taking care not to add too much liquid, (the rice need to absorb the liquid). When you have finished all the wine, add the granulated vegetable broth into the rice and pour a ladle of boiling water. Add ladles of water (always only a little at a time when the rice seems dry) this should take around 20 minutes from when you put the rice in the saucepan.
- Turn off the heat, adding a little butter and parmesan cheese. Cover the pot with a lid and let it stand for a minute or two so that it is creamy. If you like, feel free to add a bit of pepper.
- Serve immediately in individual dishes on the table. If you want, the risotto can be decorated with a few white grapes.