This post is also available in: Italiano
This pasta sauce reminiscent of the Mediterranean – its sun and its flavors. It’s a recipe that I my friend Magda made for me, who is also passionate about cooking. I usually reserve this dish for the times when I want a strong yet soft taste. The acidity of the tomato is tempered by the salty capers and is countered by the sweet pine nuts. Due to the richness of the ingredients, this dish is a complete meal.
SICILIAN PASTA WITH PINE NUTS
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1 pound gnocchetti pasta or similarly shaped small pasta
1 small jar of pine nuts
1 small jar capers in salt or in vinegar
6 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ pint whipping cream
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
course sea salt
- Bring two quarts of water and a handful of coarse salt to a boil. While the water heats, prepare the sauce.
- In a saucepan, add the oil and the pine nuts and sauté for 2 minutes, then lower the heat and add the tomato sauce.
- Wash the capers thoroughly under cold running water then add them to the sauce. Allow them to cook for 2-3 minutes then turn off the burner and add the cream. At this point the water will boil. Add the pasta to the boiling salted water, following the cooking time on the package.
- When the pasta is cooked, reserve a lade of the pasta water and store it in a bowl, then drain the rest of the water.
- Put the pasta in a bowl and add the sauce, then add 4 tablespoons of cooking water and mix thoroughly.
Distribute in individual dishes and sprinkle each plate with a little parmesan cheese.