This “sformatino” was my first experiment at home to enjoy the soft delicacies that are often served at the opening of restaurant meals. This test made me realize the opportunity I had to experiment with the various types of vegetable “sformatini” and ingredients. I plan to present many more.
The sauce that I propose has a mushroom base, but can also work well with a cheese sauce. For brevity, try using packaged mushrooms. In Italy there are packages of cream with mushrooms diluted with a little vegetable stock and they will work well with this preparation. You can use frozen spinach cubes for the spinach in this recipe.
The sformatino mixture can be prepared the day before and baked just before going to the table. Use individual aluminum molds, this will make it easier to reverse the sformatino onto individual plates for presentation.
SPINACH SFORMATINO WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 pound frozen spinach cubes
1 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta
½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of butter for the aluminum molds
1 tablespoon of flour for the aluminum molds
1 can or carton of organic cream of mushroom soup such as Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom
⅓ cup of vegetable broth
a pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
6 aluminum molds
- Thaw spinach according to directions of the pack, after cooked, drain them and squeeze them to get out all the water.
- Pour into a bowl and add the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir well to mix all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter and flour the molds. Fill of the mold two-thirds of the way with the mixture. Bake the molds for about 30 minutes until the surface is slightly golden. Turn off the oven and remove the molds and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, open the can of cream of mushroom and pour it into a saucepan, add vegetable broth to make it more fluid, heat or boil.
- In each individual dish, pour a little sauce. Reverse the mold and decorate with a drop of sauce on the top.
Serve at once.