This recipe was made for the contest “ExtraDOLCEMENTE” held in Pisa. To enhance the fragrances emanating from the olive oil I thought I’d combine the raisins and red goji berries, a Chinese fruit that is recently also sold in Italian supermarkets. The oil used is from the farm of “Caesar Bonamici” of Fiesole. The olive oil is the same as in the recipe for Pear and Olive Oil Bundt Cake.
COOKIES FROM FRANTOIO
Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
3 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup Tuscan extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup of goji berries
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup apricot liqueur
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
- Rinse the goji berries and raisins with warm water. Wipe off with a cloth.
Put them in a bowl and pour over the apricot liqueur. Allow to marinate.
- In a large bowl, pour in the flour, sugar, goji berries, raisins, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. At the center create a small depression in which the egg yolks and pour the Tuscan extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the eggs and the olive oil with a wooden spoon trying to incorporate the other ingredients. When it becomes difficult, mix it with your hands incorporate all ingredients quickly. Shape into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the dough into balls and space them on the baking sheet so that they do not touch. Put them in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 min, turn down the heat to 300F and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.