This post is also available in: Italiano
Stuffed tomatoes are a good idea for a summer lunch or dinner. This dish comes in 4 different versions that can be cooked together like I did. This way you can satisfy the tastes of most people with a few ingredients. The common element is the 4 preparations is bread crumbs. Bread crumbs are a convenient way to recycle old bread. In my family, my mother us always the one toasting the old bread in the oven. After each lunch and dinner we store the bread that has been used for the meals in a paper bag that protects it from dust and moisture. When the bag is full you put the bread in the oven until it is golden brown and add grated Parmesan cheese and it will transform into fragrant bread crumbs. This way you do not waste anything and we have an element that varies in texture and flavor depending on the type of bread that we buy for different occasions.
The second element are herbs that are indispensable in the summer kitchen.
Cherry Tomatoes with 4 FlavorsCourse: Recipes, Vegetables
16 cherry tomatoes
4 tablespoons of bread crumbs
1 bunch of mixed herbs (oregano, marjoram, lemon balm, thyme, tarragon, chives, fennel)
4 oz blue cheese like “Roquefort”
6 oz of ricotta
4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
- Cut the tomatoes in half so that you make small containers, removing the seeds and inside. Lightly salt them and put them on a cutting bard with the cut side facing downwards.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling.
Mix the herbs with the breadcrumbs. Turn the oven to 400F. Place ingredients into 4 bowls.
- Filling #1: Mix the ricotta with 1 tablespoon of mixture of herbs and bread and 1 heaping tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and egg. With this mixture fill 8 tomatoes halves.
- Filling #2: Mix a heaping tablespoon of the mixture of herbs with all the remaining Parmesan and a little pepper. Fill 8 tomatoes halves.
- Filling #3: Mix 1 tablespoon of the herb mixture with crumbled Roquefort cheese. Fill 8 tomatoes halves.
- Filling #4: Cut the anchovies in half and mix them with the mixture of herbs. Place the anchovies in 8 tomato halves then sprinkle over a little of mixture of herbs and bread crumbs.
- Place all the tomatoes in a baking dish greased with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Distribute the remaining oil a little over each tomato. Bake and cook for about 15 minutes until it forms a golden crust. Serve in the pan and let everyone serve themselves according to taste.