This post is also available in: Italiano
This carrot cake has accompanied all the childhood parties of my son. It seemed like a healthy and genuine recipe to offer his friends when they came to the house. Being a sweet cream free cake that maintains its goodness for several days, it was ideal cake to make for the time I had available between family and work. So as soon as the cake was ready I would cut it into squares and place them in colorful cupcake papers presenting them as if it came from some famous pastry shop. I tasted this cake in Switzerland in the city of Aargau during our honeymoon. I liked a lot but for years I was not able to find the recipe, then in the Encyclopedia of Cooking from Curcio I satisfied my desire for knowledge. When my son grew up, I abandoned this preparation, but not long ago I was asked to prepare this cake again.
CARROT CAKE OF SWITZERLAND
Preparation: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes
(For 10 people)
1/2 pounds of carrots
11 oz of ground almonds with the skins
½ cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of Kirsch (optional)
sugar carrots for decoration (optional)
- Thoroughly clean the carrots and grate them finely with a Parmesan grater. Add the egg yolks, the lemon zest, and two tablespoons of the lemon’s juice and finally the Kirsch.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff adding a pinch of salt then add the sugar and continually beat the mixture to form a compound for meringue.
- Mix the egg whites into the mixture with movements from the bottom upwards over slowly sifting the flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rectangular tin with baking paper that has been soaked and wrung out well, it should be around 7×11 inches.
- Pour over the mixture leveling it evenly. Put it in the oven for around 50 minutes. Before removing it from the oven prick deep into the cake with a toothpick, if it comes out clean the cake is done, otherwise continue to cook for about ten minutes.
- Remove from the oven and prepare the cake icing. Pour into a bowl the sugar, slowly add the lemon juice mixing thoroughly until it forms a paste. Spread it with a spatula on the cake. When the icing is clotted cut the cake into squares and put them in paper cups. If you wish, decorate with sugar carrots.