This post is also available in: Italiano
In my garden I found two zucchini which that when escaping the daily harvest, had gotten very large. Normally when they are so big, the white part is filled with many seeds, so I use the green part and I bring the inside to the chickens who eat it willingly.
This time, however, I came up with a preparation that I tasted some time ago at the restaurant of the NaturaSì organic supermarket in Conegliano. It was a wheat sformatino topped with a cream made with the white part of the zucchini. I don’t have the recipe for this cream but by intuition I managed to make a very similar recipe.
The gnocchi that I made do not contain gluten and are therefore suitable for those with intolerances to this element. I also experimented with a durum wheat flour and the success is excellent. The cream made with the white of the zucchini has a delicate and creamy consistency that can well replace the cream when binding sauces in particular those based on vegetables or fish.
Gluten-free Gnocchi with ShrimpCourse: Pasta, Recipes
1.5 pounds of floury yellow potatoes
3 large zucchini
150 gr of corn starch (around 1 cup)
12 shelled shrimp tails
1 generous tablespoon of butter
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of White Martini Vermouth
1 teaspoon of turmeric
Salt and pepper
- For the gnocchi:
Thoroughly wash the potatoes leaving them in their skins. Boil them without salt for forty minutes. Before turning off, feel with a fork if it penetrates the pulp easily. In this case they are ready, otherwise continue cooking for a few minutes. Drain the potatoes and while they are are still hot peel and mash them with a potato masher in a bowl. Allow them to cool completely.
- When they are cold, make a recess in the middle and add in the egg. Knead adding 100 gr of cornstarch. If the dough is workable without sticking to the hands, it means that there is no need to add more flour. Put the rest of the flour on the tabletop. Pour over the dough, divide it into pieces with each of which make a roll that you will cut into chunks. Place the gnocchi on a tray awaiting cooking which must be done a few minutes before serving.
- For the zucchini cream:
Remove the green part of the zucchini with a knife and cut into small pieces. Place the white pulp in a saucepan and cover it with water which must be flush with the pulp. Add a little salt and turmeric. Boil slowly until the water is almost consumed. When the pulp is cooked add the butter and a little pepper.
- Blend everything with an immersion blender. In a non-stick pan, put the olive oil and the garlic clove.
- Pour the green part of the zucchini that has been cut into strips and cook over high heat for about 15 minutes, turning frequently. With a spoon, remove the zucchini without removing the dressing that will be used for the shrimp. Keep the zucchini aside on a plate.
- Pour the shelled and halved shrimp lengthwise in the pan where the zucchini were, cook over high heat for two minutes, then pour the vermouth. Cook for two more minutes, turn off the heat, add the zucchini, mix to mix the sauce.
- Cook the gnocchi, in each dish arrange a little zucchini cream, the gnocchi and the shrimp and zucchini sauce on top.