This post is also available in: Italiano
These meatballs can be frozen in single portions of 2 or 3 meatballs to be ready when there is no time to cook or when adults are eating things not suitable for serving to children.
1 pound of lean ground beef
2 heaping tablespoons breadcrumbs
2 heaping tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 whole egg
1 large jar or can of peeled tomatoes
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare all the ingredients in bowls ready to be mixed by hand.
- Add the meat into a large bowl and add all the ingredients. Mix with your hands
involving your child.
- After the mixture has been well kneaded, pour the tomatoes into a pan.
- Wet your hands with a little water and roll a little meat in the palm of your hands to form a ball which you will place in the pan with the tomato. Get help from your little one. They’ll tend to toss them in the pan but that’s okay.
- Place the pan on the medium flame, pour the olive oil.
- Cook for 10 minutes with the pot covered, then adjust the flame to minimum and continue cooking for 30 minutes with the pot uncovered.
- Turn the meatballs from time to time with a spoon, taking care not to break them.
- Serve them broken (taking into account the age of the child) accompanied with the sauce.